Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Belated entry - Chicago

Here are a few photos from my stopover in Chicago on the way to San Fran.

A funky sculpture in the Loop.


In a previous post I wrote about the Chicago cemetary with the graves of all famous Chicago architects. This cemetary is also the final resting place of Mies van der Rohe - who is often credited with revolutionising architecture with his famous 'less is more' philosophy.

On Friday afternoon Chuck and I went to see the campus of the Illinois Institute of Technology where Mies started his career and developed his charcteristic architectural style (he desgined the whole campus).

When it comes to that style of architecture, people (including myself) tend to think "Well, in the end it is basically just a box."

But on the IIT campus I realised that there is apparently more to it. The following photo shows a building on campus designed to fit existing buildings in the style of Mies van der Rohe


And it looks crappy - the I-beams just sit on top and look ugly.

This photo, in comparison, shows crown hall - often referred to as Mies' masterpiece.

The building hangs off the I-beams which creates a huge open space inside. And I have to say it looks quite different from the fake.

This is the post office in downtown Chicago - you guessed correctly - also designed by Mies.


The amazing ending of such a nice day was a visit to a jazz concert in this historic park venue. The singer, Dee Alexander, is actually sort of famous (her new album is nominated for seven Grammies) - yet, the concert was free!!

No comments: