Friday, May 11, 2007

Fixing to leave... Impressions of the UGA campus

I don't really have much to fix but this is what the Southerners do. They are always fixing to do something (Wikipedia has more information on the Southern dialect). Since I'll be leaving Georgia on Sunday I used the nice weather to take some photos of the picturesque campus.

Starting at the Arch: The university's emblem seems odd in that the actual entrance is wider than the arch. This goes back to an old legend which says if you go through the gate, you will never graduate. As students started climbing over the fence the entrance was widened and even today one does not see any students walking under the arch.

In a town called Athens the uni buildings need a classical look...
The campus life in contrast, seems vibrant and relaxed....

There are a lot of corners where you could spent afternoons 'studying'.


Moving towards the South Campus the the buildings are less fancy and you know that you are getting close to the engineering precinct. Between the two parts of the campus is the massive football stadium (As a non-american I still can't comprehend how important the football is at this university).
Without collums, but situated in a nice leafy environment - the engineering building.
How is that for the size of a one person office???

1 comment:

Where I Am said...

Nice photos! What a pity that you have to leave such a lovely place so soon. Will be looking forward to seeing more pictures from you next destination. =)